Summer Sailing Program
2022 REGISTRATION -
Opening on January 25th at 8am pst to the public.
(Opening January 11th to SFYC Members)
2022 Session Dates
- Session 1: June 13 – 24
- Session 2: June 27 – July 8 (No class July 4th)
- Session 3: July 11 – July 22
- Session 4: July 25 – August 5
- All classes and sessions run 5 days per week, Monday-Friday except Monday, July 4th, 2022
SFYC Member — Full Day: $1,020
Half Day: $630 (Harbor mice is the only class offered as a half day)
Non-Member — Full Day: $1,480
Half Day: $900 (Harbor mice is the only class offered as a half day)
Payment and Refund Policy
Registration for the 2022 Summer Sailing Program is online only, through Active's services and become available on January 25th to the public and January 11th to SFYC Members. We do not require payment to register, but your sailor's spot is not guaranteed until payment is accepted. Payment is due no later than 4 weeks before the start of the session. Payment is accepted in the form of credit card, but there is an additional $60 fee or you can pay via check. Checks may be made out to The San Francisco Yacht Club. If a session is showing as full ("waitlist only") please put your name on that waitlist, there is a lot of movement weekly.
If you cancel, the following deadlines will apply:
- Session 1 (Payment due by May 16th): full refund until May 2, 50% until May 23, no refunds thereafter.
- Session 2 (Payment due by May 30th): full refund until May 16, 50% until June 6, no refunds thereafter.
- Session 3 (Payment due by June 13th): full refund until May 30, 50% until June 20, no refunds thereafter.
- Session 4 (Payment due by June 27th): full refund until June 13, 50% until July 4, no refunds thereafter.
Attention: SFYC Members
Early registration can be accessed by logging into the member-side of the website and finding the registration button on this page. Members will have the option to register and pay via credit card (an additional 4% fee) or they can register without payment and will receive the bill on their next monthly statement. Check is also an accepted form of payment. Please email Abby at [email protected] if you plan to pay via check and make the check out to The San Francisco Yacht Club.
*All refunds are subject to a $20 non-refundable fee. If you paid via credit card, that processing fee is also non-refundable. All cancellations will only be accepted via email to the Youth Sailing Director at [email protected] prior to the refund deadline.
2022 Class Descriptions
- Ages: 6-8 / Boat: JY Trainer / Prerequisite: Pass the swim test on the first day.
- These classes are offered as full-day (9:00am-3:00pm) or half-day: (9:00am-12:00pm or 12:00pm-3:00pm)
Entry-level students 8 and younger will usually begin with the stable Opti Cube, which is a simplified Optimist pram. These classes stay in the harbor at first, and place 2 sailors in each boat. This class covers safety, rigging, basic boat handling, and knots. Sailors advance to the Optimist class after successfully completing the Harbor Mice class.
Optimist (Level 1, 2, 3/Race)
- Ages: 9-13 / Prerequisite: Harbor Mice class, previous sailing experience, or age 9.
- These classes are offered as full-day only (9:00am-3:00pm).
The 8-foot Optimist is the international standard in youth sail training. The "Opti" is specifically designed for junior sailors under 5'4" and 105 lbs. We offer Optimist classes for beginners (Level 1), intermediates (Level 2, typically once a sailor completes two summer sessions), and racers (Level 3, fall/spring sailing or our SFYC Race Team). At the beginning of each session, the class will be broken up into these three groups based on skill level and experience. Boat ownership is encouraged but not required for participation.
Double-handed (2 groups: Beginner and Racing)
- Ages: 12-16 / Boat: CFJ / Prerequisite: >110 lbs, ability to lift your own body weight out of the water.
- These classes are offered as full-day only (11:00am-4:00pm).
CFJs are the standard in high school and are used widely in collegiate sailing; this 2-person boat will be used to teach safety and good seamanship in a social setting. This course will focus on intermediate skills, but a beginner group will be available for those without experience.
- Ages: 10-16 / Boat: J/24.
- This class is offered as full-day only (9:00am-3:00pm).
With two J/24's ready to go, the Bay will be your playground. In this class there will be 4-6 students per boat and 1 instructor. Safety, seamanship skills and fun will be the focal point of this class. Navigation, anchoring, knots, and becoming a better helmsperson will also be introduced in this class. Last summer this was the class to be in and this summer is no different!
Important Summer Sailing Information
What To Bring/What To Wear:
- US Coast Guard approved PFD (life jacket)
- Closed-toed shoes (soft-soled and able to get wet)
- Water bottle
- Non-cotton clothing
- Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Complete change of clothes
- Fleece garments, wet suits, and foul weather gear*
- Duffle/Backpack to keep all of your belongings together
*Recommended for cool weather, cold water conditions, and wind protection.
IMPORTANT: WRITE YOUR NAME ON ALL YOUR GEAR!
Food may or may not be available for purchase, depending on County/State health regulations.