Summer Sailing Program
2021 SUMMER SAILING REGISTRATION -OPENED JANUARY 25-
2021 Session Dates
- Session 1: June 14 – 25
- Session 2: June 28 – July 9
- Session 3: July 12 – July 23
- Session 4: July 26 – August 6
- All classes and sessions run 5 days per week, Monday-Friday.
Click here to REGISTER
Registration for 2021 Summer Sailing Programs is online only, through Active's services and become available on January 25, 2021. Please click below to begin registration. Credit cards are accepted online but require an additional 4% fee. Checks will also be accepted, as well as Club charges to an SFYC member's account.
If a session is showing as full ("waitlist only") please put your name on that waitlist, there is a lot of movement weekly.
SFYC Member (available to children and grandchildren of Regular Members in good standing ONLY) — $970
Non-Member — $1,400
If you cancel, the following deadlines will apply:
- Session 1 (June 14 - 25): full refund until May 3, 50% until May 24, no refunds thereafter.
- Session 2 (June 28 - July 9): full refund until May 17, 50% until June 7, no refunds thereafter.
- Session 3 (July 12 - 23): full refund until May 31, 50% until June 21, no refunds thereafter.
- Session 4 (July 26 – August 6): full refund until June 14, 50% until July 5, no refunds thereafter.
*All refunds are subject to a $16 non-refundable fee. If you paid via credit card, that processing fee is also non-refundable. All cancellations will only be accepted via email to the Youth Sailing Director at [email protected] prior to the refund deadline.
2021 Class Descriptions
- Ages: 6-9 / Boat: JY Trainer / Prerequisite: Pass the swim test on the first day.
- These classes are offered as full-day (8:30am-3:00pm) or half-day: (8:30am-12:00pm or 12:00pm-3:00pm)
Entry-level students 9 and younger will usually begin with the stable Opti Cube, which is a simplified Optimist pram. These classes stay in the harbor at first, and place 2 sailors in each boat. This class covers safety, rigging, basic boat handling, and knots. Sailors advance to the Optimist class after successfully completing the Harbor Mice class.
Optimist (Level 1, 2, 3/Race)
- Ages: 8-13 / Prerequisite: Harbor Mice class, previous sailing experience, or age 10.
- These classes are offered as full-day only (9:00-3:45).
The 8-foot Optimist is the international standard in youth sail training. The "Opti" is specifically designed for junior sailors under 5'4" and 105 lbs. We offer Optimist classes for beginners (Level 1), intermediates (Level 2, typically once a sailor completes two summer sessions), and racers (Level 3, fall/spring sailing or our SFYC Race Team). At the beginning of each session, the class will be broken up into these three groups based on skill level and experience. Boat ownership is encouraged but not required for participation.
Double-handed (2 groups: Beginner and Racing)
- Ages: 12-16 / Boat: CFJ / Prerequisite: >110 lbs, ability to lift your own body weight out of the water.
- These classes are offered as full-day only (11:00-4:00).
CFJs are the standard in high school and are used widely in collegiate sailing; this 2-person boat will be used to teach safety and good seamanship in a social setting. This course will focus on intermediate skills, but a beginner group will be available for those without experience.
- Ages: 10-16 / Boat: J/24.
- This class is offered as full-day only (9:00-3:30).
With two J/24's ready to go, the Bay will be your playground. In this class there will be 4-6 students per boat and 1 instructor. Safety, seamanship skills and fun will be the focal point of this class. Navigation, anchoring, knots, and becoming a better helmsperson will also be introduced in this class. Last summer this was the class to be in and this summer is no different!
Important Summer Sailing Information
What To Bring/What To Wear:
- US Coast Guard approved PFD (life jacket)
- Closed-toed shoes (soft-soled and able to get wet)
- Water bottle
- Non-cotton clothing
- Sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Complete change of clothes
- Fleece garments, wet suits, and foul weather gear*
- Duffle/Backpack to keep all of your belongings together
*Recommended for cool weather, cold water conditions, and wind protection.
IMPORTANT: WRITE YOUR NAME ON ALL YOUR GEAR!
Food may or may not be available for purchase, depending on County/State health regulations.